- “Guilty! Guilty! My evil self is at that door and I have no power to stop it!”
- “Ten thousand? We were talking about a lot more money than this.”
“Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.”
- “They call them the haunted shores, these stretches of Devonshire and Cornwall and Ireland which rear up against the westward ocean. Mists gather here… and sea fog… and eerie stories…”
- “Don’t be so gloomy. After all it’s not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love – they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.”
- “You’re a good-looking boy: you’ve big, broad shoulders. But he’s a man. And it takes more than big, broad shoulders to make a man. “
- “She can’t act, she can’t sing, she can’t dance. A triple threat.”
- “Do you have any vacancies?”
“Oh, we have 12 vacancies. 12 cabins, 12 vacancies.”
- “Now, get this, you double-crossing chimpanzee: There ain’t going to be any interview and there ain’t going to be any story. And that certified check of yours is leaving with me in twenty minutes. I wouldn’t cover the burning of Rome for you if they were just lighting it up. If I ever lay my two eyes on you again, I’m gonna walk right up to you and hammer on that monkeyed skull of yours ’til it rings like a Chinese gong!”
- “What’s a tennis racket doing in the kitchen?”
“Tennis racket? Oh, I remember, I was cooking myself an Italian dinner…I use it to strain the spaghetti.”
- “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that…”
Here are the answers to today’s classic film quotes quiz. How did you do?
Walter Pidgeon as Dr. Morbius to Leslie Niesen as Commander Adams and Anne Francis as Altaira Morbius in Forbidden Planet (1956); Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade and Sidney Greenstreet as Kasper Gutman in The Maltese Falcon (1941); Ray Milland as Roderick Fitzgerald in The Uninvited (1944); Orson Wells as Harry Lime to Joseph Cotton as Holly Martins in The Third Man (1949); Katy Jurado as Helen Ramirez speaking to Lloyd Bridges as Deputy Marshal Harvey Pell about Gary Cooper as Marshal Will Kane in High Noon (1952); Janet Leigh as Marion Crane and Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates in Psycho (1960); Donald O’Connor as Cosmo Brown speaking about Jean Hagen as Lina Lamont in Singin’ in the Rain (1952); Rosalind Russell as Hildy Johnson to Cary Grant as Walter Burns in His Girl Friday (1940); Shirley MacLaine as Fran Kubelik and Jack Lemmon as C.C. Baxter in The Apartment (1960); Alan Ladd as Shane to Jean Arthur as Marion Starrett in Shane (1953).